Saturday, October 6, 2012

Get Real

As we (woman) age it seems that we can't help but take notice that we need to work a bit harder to maintain our desired weight. At least I know that I do. Gone are the days in which I could wolf down two lunches at school, stop home quickly after school for a snack of a sandwich and Oreo's before practice and then head home for dinner. I have always been active and enjoyed exercise, but now I must incorporate nutrition into the equation.
At work I often have woman ask me how I do it. How do I manage to stay in shape and look the way I look. After I jokingly tell them that I haven't eaten in six days I am quick to tell them my true philosophy.
If you go down any grocery aisle or look at any commercial that is targeted to our demographic (25-45) you will notice there is no shortage of 100 calorie FUdge Shop cookie snack packs, or Slim Fast commercials telling us to have a Slim Fast for breakfast and lunch and then a sensible dinner. No offense to these companies for making this stuff because, after all, they are making a killing off of our misguided perception of healthy eating and thinking counting calories, and/or calorie restriction is our answer. We really need to stop thinking it is OK to fill our temples with refined, processed nutrient-lacking junk and think it is OK because the package tells us it is only 100 calories. Instead, and here is the great part, we can stuff our faces with endless amounts of real food~veggies, fruits, anything REAL.
I read a book called The Beauty Detox Solution and while some of her suggestions were not realistic for me or my family there were some great tips I did take away. Most notably was my new breakfast of choice called The Green Smoothie. I highly recommend this one little change to any woman's "diet". This little baby has helped me to stay fuller, longer in the morning. Sometimes it is lunch time and I am not even hungry. I feel as though it has aided in the overall tone-ness of my body and it has a ton of fiber which you may all know what fiber does~keeps us regular.
Now I am not going to give you the officially recipe with measurements and all. When I make this I just eyeball and approximate while throwing all the ingredients in, it works for me. Cheers!
  • 1/2 cups water - add more or less depending on how you like the consistency
  • 1 head romaine lettuce - I buy the bags that have three in them and use one each time I make a new batch
  • hand full of baby spinach 
  • handful of chopped celery
  • 1 apple, cored and chopped
  • 1 pear, sliced
  • 1 banana, sliced
  • squeeze of 1/2 a lemon
When making, add the first 4 ingredients to the blender, blend until mixed well. Add the last 4 ingredients and blend well again. This will make me two mornings worth of the drink.

Again though ladies, my philosophy, eat as much as you want as long as you are eating real food! Not the processed, refined junk that claims to help you reach your goals because it is only 100 calories.


mmmmmm
 
 

…C

No comments:

Post a Comment